Monday, April 16, 2012

Property Hunting

Property hunting takes far too much time and effort (unless you get lucky!). This is generally because most real estate agents in the Middle East like to show you things that are way over your budget or have been on their books since the dawn of time, i.e. they're a pile of sh*te. I wasn't shocked to discover that most agents in Muscat are the same then. Despite me being very specific on the phone (3 to 4 bed villa, walking distance to the beach, fairly modern and not too far from work) the first two agents I met took me to see the dregs of what was on their books. A 6 (yes, 6!!!) bed villa that was very old and a good 10 minute drive to the beach. A 5 bed villa which looked like it dated back to the stone age, but it was close to the beach so he got that right. Next was a 2 bed apartment. This was the point that I told the agent he was wasting my time and to call me if he actually had something that fit my very small list of requirements. Since that experience I've learnt to get details of the places they want to show me before they actual take me.

Some of you might be thinking '4 bed villa? on the beach? just for him? posh tw@t, rich b@stard' etc, etc. Please allow me to explain though before you judge. Firstly, rented accommodation here is CHEAP! Maybe not that cheap compared to the UK, but compared to Dubai it's brilliant. A 4 bed villa, by the beach (some even have a pool!) costs roughly the same as a 2 bed apartment in a nice area of Dubai. Secondly, I am planning to rent at least one of the rooms out to someone. No idea who yet, but possibly someone at work (there are new guys starting all the time). I found this works quite well judging on my experience in Dubai (yes Dom, that's a compliment, don't get a boner). I'm also expecting a few visitors. Mum and Dad haven't booked a date in yet, but I'm sure they will soon. All friends are welcome to book a visit of course to take advantage of the free digs and to explore a new city/country. Same condition as before though for the couples: no loud bedroom 'holiday activity' late at night if I have work the next day. So that's at least 3 bedrooms I need. The fourth could just be used for something else, a study, a gym, or just a Scalextric room!?! The reasons for being by the beach are: because it'll be cool and because I can.

Ignoring the pain of the first agent I have met some nice ones who have been very honest and up front with me. So far there are two villas I like. One is a 4 bed (tick), with a 500m walk to the beach (measured on Google Earth - tick), but is a bit lacking on the modern side when it comes to the bathrooms and kitchen, so I'd have to compromise there. The second place is a 5 bed (bit big, but tick), with a 1000m walk to the beach (semi-tick), a shared swimming pool with 5 other villas (not an initial requirement, but big tick)  and fairly modern throughout (tick). There's one big cross against the second place though, which I am going to have to go and explore at a certain time of day. Roughly 50m away is a small mosque. For those of you that haven't lived in the Middle East, this is by no means a good thing. Most notable is the call to prayer at around 4:30am every morning! Even though the current tenant told me it doesn't bother him I'll have to go back at one of the 5 prayer times throughout the day to see just how loud it is for myself.

For now, my search continues. I already have a couple of places to see tomorrow (luckily my boss has been very accommodating so far and is letting me check out all these places during work time!). So the next time I mention accommodation will probably be when the decision is made and I've moved in. When this happens I'll make sure to post a few pictures to tempt all you potential visitors!

No comments:

Post a Comment